compensation: Salary: $50,000.00 to $65,000.00 /year (negotiable) employment type: full-time
QR Code Link to This Post
Please read entire job post before applying.
Costa Mesa personal injury, child injury and elder abuse law firm is seeking an experienced legal secretary to join our team! Our firm handles only personal injury matters and we are not a legal mill with hundreds of cases.
Our firm has grown tremendously since we opened and this is a great opportunity for someone who is looking for a long-term position in an environment where there is ample room for growth. We see ourselves as a start-up and feel that this is a stellar chance to grow alongside with us. We have been named to the prestigious Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum and were just selected as a 2019 Super Lawyer.
We are looking for someone who is truly passionate about helping injured victims. You should be an excellent communicator (both verbal and written) and extremely detail oriented and organized. It is critical that you are a self-starter who can tackle tasks and show extraordinary productivity.
Our ideal candidate is passionate, confident, trust-worthy, motivated and will work well both independently and within a team. Our managing partner is often in trial so it is very important that your experience level allows you to work independently at the office when he is not available.
Supporting our clients is our number one priority and customer service is extremely important to us.
Ideal candidate will have a minimum of 3 years experience working as a legal secretary at a personal injury law firm. Familiarity with personal injury, court rules and e-filing, discovery and trial prep are required. You will also be requesting medical records. Only experienced candidates will be considered.
Our office is a fast-paced environment but we are a casual, friendly law firm that does not do high volume. We litigate complex catastrophic injury cases and we are very selective with the cases we take. We currently have 3 attorneys and 1 paralegal and we plan on keeping our caseload at around 50-60 active cases at any given time.
You will be interacting with many different people. Our legal secretary will be answering the phone and then directing calls to both paralegals and attorneys. You must be comfortable, confident, outgoing and friendly on the phone.
- Taking calls from potential clients and running them through our intake process
- Receiving and placing telephone calls; scheduling and making appointments
- Requesting medical records
- Monitoring files in our case management system to ensure exceptional client communication
- Using our web software to keep lists of leads, clients, etc. for marketing
- Checking of voicemails and faxes: relaying messages to paralegals and attorneys
- Mailing of marketing materials to potential clients
- Handling inbound and outbound mail
- Assisting with office administrative duties by making photocopies of correspondences, documents, and other printed matters.
- Scanning discovery and maintaining e-files
- Organizing and maintaining documents and case files
- Emailing managing partner a daily breakdown of calls and messages
- Calendaring and confirming of depositions
- Calendaring of meetings and appointments
- Helping paralegals prepare trial binders
- Helping paralegals prepare deposition binders
- Assisting attorneys and paralegals in collecting information relevant to caseloads
- Drafting and typing office memos, letters and other correspondence
- Reviewing legal publications and performing database searches to identify laws and court decisions relevant to pending cases
- Submitting articles and information from searches to attorneys for review and approval for use
- Completing various forms, such as accident reports, trial and courtroom requests, and applications for clients
Qualifications and Skills:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required; Associates Degree or Legal Secretary Certificate preferred
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience in the legal field; equivalent combination of education and/or experience considered
- Knowledge of legal terminology and legal document management (e.g., briefs, summonses, complaints, motions, pleadings and discovery)
- Ability to provide stellar customer service
- Effective oral and written communication skills with knowledge of correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation usage
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel and Power Point; ability to operate basic office equipment such as a copy machine, fax machine, printer, scanner, and computer; proficient with internet research
- Accurate typing skills with the ability to type 60 WPM
- Previous calendaring experience
- Ability to multi-task and manage time effectively
The most important qualities this person should possess are as follows:
-confident and energetic on the phone
-strong communication skills
-comfortable receiving inbound calls from attorneys, clients and insurance adjusters
-organized and detail oriented
-ability to learn new computer/software programs
-have excellent computer skills
-knowledge of personal injury law
-experience working as a legal secretary
-passion for helping injured victims
This is a very important position in our law firm. You are often the first person who will speak to potential clients and you will speak to current clients and defense counsel as well. For this reason, you must be professional and confident on the phone and comfortable taking down the details of the callers accident.
* Fluency in Spanish is not required but is a plus.
** Hours are Monday-Friday 8 am- 4:30 pm.
Salary listed is negotiable based on experience.
Job Type: Full-time at our Costa Mesa Office
Benefits include vacation pay, personal and sick day pay, and continuing education.
If you are looking for your forever home, where you can grow alongside a law firm and have the opportunity to control your financial future, email us:
1. Your resume
2. A cover letter stating your salary requirements as well as why you are a good fit for our firm.
Only complete applications will be considered.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $50,000.00 to $65,000.00 /year
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers